Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Chapter Two (Started)

Kaelynn awoke first the following morning, as she always did. As she lay there in her sleeping bag, she found herself filled with hope that this summer could really change her life. Her bladder called for attention and when she returned from the bathroom, she found Renae and Morrie were awake as well.

“I think your mom is cooking breakfast because something smells great in the hallway.” Kaelynn announced as she walked in the room.

“She is probably making her special banana pancakes. She likes to do stuff like that when I have sleepovers.”

Morrie’s stomach growled loudly and all the girls giggled. “Can we go eat then?” Morrie laughed.

“Hey, do you guys want to bring over your swimsuits to go swimming today? My dad says the pool is still a little cold, but it is clean and ready to use.” Renae asked as they walked down the stairs.

Morrie and Kaelynn hadn’t seen the pool last night, as they were stuck in Renae’s room all night talking, giggling, and bonding.

“That sounds fantastic. We can start working on our tans!” Morrie enthusiastically replied. “Mrs. Pitts, those pancakes smell so good.”

“Good morning girls. Nice to see you awake before ten. Grab some juice and the pancakes will be ready soon. Oh, and please, call me Sue.”

“Mom, can Kaelynn and Morrie come over for a swim today?”

“I don’t see why not, but clear it with your father first.”

Attacking the banana pancakes with abandon, the girls made plans to meet up after lunch at 1pm for a swim. The weather wasn’t hot yet, being early June, but it was uncharacteristically sunny. The water was crisp, not yet reaching the potential it would in July. Kaelynn met Morrie at her house this time and they walked together to Renae’s house.

“It seems weird to live so close to each other, play on the same soccer team, but not really know each other, doesn’t it?” Kaelynn opened.

“I know. I hope things will be different now.”

“Me too.”

“Have you met Renae’s brother yet?”

“What? She has a brother? We didn’t’ see anyone around last night.”

“Well, we were pretty much locked up in Renae’s room.” Morrie laughed.

“True. What’s he like?”

“Well, he just turned 15 and will be getting his drivers permit when school starts. He is tall, like Renae, except he is all dark hair and eyes. They don’t look alike at all, it is weird.”

“I can’t wait until I can drive.”

“I know. Imagine the freedom.”

The thoughts of both girls turn inward as they walk the final steps to Renae’s house.
Renae rushes to meet them at the door. “The pool is open!” The girls all cheer. “Unfortunately my brother and his friends are here, too. I guess the nice weather was too good to pass up.”

“Renae, you didn’t mention last night you had a brother. Morrie told me on the walk up here.”

“Yeah, Joe.”

Renae led Kaelynn and Morrie to the backyard pool. It was a bigger backyard than you normally found in the suburbs, having enough room for the pool, a small grassy area, and a patio barbeque area.

The girls set up on the trio of lounge chair. Matt and his friend were already in the pool splashing around.

“Have you thought about what you want to be when you grow up?” Kaelynn pondered while they lathered on sunscreen.

“I’ve thought about going into something with languages. I know Spanish already, and plan on learning French and German. Maybe an interpreter? I don’t know. My sister, Colleen, is working in France at the embassy. She just graduated last year. My parents would love to have me do something like that, too.” Morrie answered first.

“How old are your other sisters, Morrie?” Renae asked.

“Colleen just graduated from Purdue. She is 23. Megan will graduate this year from Brown. She is 22. They are nearly exactly one year apart.”

“Wow. So you are 10 years younger than them? Is that weird at all?” Kaelynn wanted to know.

“Well, sometimes, since they have been away for college and stuff. They are kind of like strangers, but family you love. I guess it is hard to explain.” Morrie reflected for a moment. “What about you Kaelynn?”

“Oh, gosh. I can’t make up my mind. I’ve thought about a TV reporter, but I think I am too shy. I’ve thought about maybe being a therapist of some sort. I don’t know yet, I guess. What about you, Renae?”

“Oh, that’s easy. I’m going to be a model.”

For most girls, it would be a strange boast, but as Renae said it, it just seemed right. Kaelynn and Morrie could see Renae on the pages of a magazine.

“I can see that. Have you done anything yet?” Morrie questioned.

“No, not yet. Probably not until high ..” A big splash of ice-cold water cut off Renae’s words, and caused all three girls to shriek in shock. Mike’s friend had just done a cannonball right in front of the girls.

“Mike! That was totally unfair. You know I hate to get wet!” Renae whined to her brother.

“Hey, it wasn’t me, it was Tony.” Mike chucked at the three wet girls.

Tony climbed out of the pool and sauntered up to the girls.

“Hi, I’m Tony. Sorry about that, I couldn’t resist.”

Renae looked dumbstruck, staring blankly at Tony. Kaelynn couldn’t really understand why. Tony had broad shoulders for a teenage boy, was on the medium height side, just a little taller than Renae, and had the darkly Italian look. Kaelynn nudged Renae with her elbow. “I’m Kaelynn, this is Morrie, and that is Renae, Mike’s sister.”

“Yeah, I guessed that. Nice to meet you all.” He and Mike toweled off and went inside.

Renae finally got her voice back as she gasped “Wow, he is so cute. Ohmigod, I made a total fool out of myself. I could at least have said Hello.”

“He is ok.” Morrie shrugged, but secretly she was too busy looking at Mike.

Kaelynn sighed. She finally found friends and they were talking just like the other kids at school.

* * *

Need to fix end on Ch. 1 since I decided to go with more background info on the girls. Fix Chapter 1 now that Morrie sister Colleen in graduated already and working in France, and her other sister will graduate this year.

* * *

Words Today (so far): 1093 (yesterday 1442)

Total Words: 2535

Words to go: 47465

2 Comments:

At November 2, 2004 at 4:39 PM, Blogger Neon said...

Way to go, Something Smart! You're doing great on Day 2. If you're like me, you'll be watching the coverage tonight, so good luck tomorrow! :)

 
At May 5, 2006 at 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

home equity loans minnesota

 

Post a Comment

<< Home