Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Chapter 3

Well, I combined Chapter 1&2 together and did a little editing on backreading to get some inspiration. I realized that Renae's brother had 2 names (duh), so I fixed that, giving him yet another name. Haha. I guess he is iffy.

I want my characters to do things they aren't yet ready for, I feel like I have to keep holding them back. I need them to start school, so I think Chapter 3 or 4 may end the before Jr. High bonding summer. Then I'll go onto the Highschool drama, and then I guess back fill in whatever I feel happened in Jr. High that would be important to the people they became in highschool.

* * * Chapter Three (so far) * * *

By the time July 4th came around, the friendship between the girls had solidified, and a routine progressed. Friday night would be sleepover night, either at Kaelynn’s or at Renae’s. Every afternoon was spent at Renae’s pool, except for few hours a week they attended soccer practice together. Kaelynn’s family was hosting a beach barbeque for the holiday, and Morrie and Renae were looking forward to joining them.

The beach was packed like a sardine tin on the July 4th holiday, where every available spot of sand was covered with colored blankets or beach towels. The crowds were partly due to the heat, which was expected to reach this high-80’s, and partly due to the holiday itself. Luckily, Kaelynn’s parents had the foresight to arrive early with a camper to reserve a spot. The girls arrived later, dropped off my Morrie’s Dad. Kaelynn’s parents had set up a badminton set on the grassy area, as it was a family tradition to have a tournament. It was too hot for that right now, and the girls opted to go swimming instead.

“Kaelynn, this is so cool! This is my first time at the beach since we moved here,” said Renae, as they headed out into the surf.

“Yeah, I am so glad you invited us to come along. When will the rest of your family show up?” Morrie asked.

The holiday was a big event in Kaelynn’s family, with all her extended aunts, uncles, and cousins joining for the barbeque.

“They usually don’t show up until after lunch, so they can all be here for the fireworks.” Kaelynn informed Renae and Morrie.

The girls were waist deep in the cool ocean water. The cold water was a stark contrast to the humid air. As the water lapped around their bodies they would shriek in joy as the waves came in. They would jump over them, bodies floating unsupported in the salt water, until the surf retreated and their feet returned safely to the sandy bottom of the ocean floor. People were crowded all around them and it became quite a game to avoid the boogie boarder that shared their water space.

“Renae, look out! Duck!” Kaelynn shrieked as she spied a boarder approaching Renae from behind.

Renae quickly ducked under the wave, but she wasn’t fast enough and she collided with the boarder.

She breeched the surface of the water, rubbing her head.

“Oh my god! Are you ok?” Morrie wanted to know.

“He just skimmed me, but it hurt. I’m ok, though.” Renae informed them.

Kaelynn was looking for the boarder that hit Renae. He went by so quickly, but he was on a orange board and had worn blue trunks. “Renae, I can’t see where he went! There are too many people out here. Come on, let’s go in and get something to drink.”

Toweling off, Renae popped open a ice cold can of Coke and took a sip, pausing as the effervescent bubbles exploded in her mouth, and trickled down her throat. “Hey, we should go for a walk down the beach and see if there are any cute guys.”

Kaelynn inwardly rolled her eyes. They each threw on an oversized surf tee-shirt, pulled a comb quickly through their wet hair, and headed back to the beach, heading in the direction of the pier.

“I have a confession,” Renae started out.

This of course, caught the interest of Morrie and Kaelynn.

“What?” Morrie asked.

“Well, you know how Tony is always over at the house hanging out with Matt?” Renae paused dramatically. “I have a crush on him.”

Kaelynn, ever the practical one, said “Renae, he’s your brother’s age. Don’t you think he is too old? I mean, he probably thinks of you as a little sister, too.”

Renae sighed. “I know, but he’s so cute that I can’t help it. Did I tell you that Matt is going to play soccer with Tony at school in the fall? He tried out last week and just heard back that he made the squad. At least I won’t look totally pathetic going to the games to see Tony.”

“Well, we’ll go to the games with you, Renae.” Morrie said. ‘That way I can look at Matt playing, too’ she thought to herself.
”Should we stop here and watch the surfer’s for a little while?” Morrie asked.
They sat in the warm sand, scrunching their toes through it, and digging their feet into little warm damp holes.

“How do you know you have a crush on someone?” Kaelynn asked. “I mean, when do boys start to be cute, and not just irritating?”

Renae and Morrie both laughed, making Kaelynn feel horribly gauche and embarrassed.

“No, Kaelynn. Don’t get upset. I’m only laughing because Tony is the first guy in real life I really noticed, too, excluding the photos of Johnny Dannon, of course. It will probably happen to you soon, as well.”
Kaelynn kind of hoped so, too, since she was feeling left out of the gushing over cute guys. “See, that is what I mean. Looking at photos of Johnny Dannon, I can see that he is cute, but I just don’t understand the fuss, I guess.”

Each girl gazed out over ocean lost in though.

Kaelynn was wondering if she would ever start to feel normal, like she fit in.

Renae was centered on Tony, wondering what he was doing right now, wishing she could call him to talk to him.

Morrie was worried about her dad, who hadn’t seemed himself when he dropped the three of them off at the beach early today. That was a secret she was determined to keep to herself right now, though.

“Is anyone else hungry?” Morrie asked.

The three girls stood together in unison and headed back up the beach to the camper to grab some lunch.

The rest of the afternoon was spent in badminton matches with the rest of Kaelynn’s family which started to arrive soon after the girls finished off their hotdogs (grilled, of course.)

1 Comments:

At November 4, 2004 at 2:56 PM, Blogger AJ said...

I have only admiration for you nano-writer people. :)I'll stick to short stories for now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home